STMicroelectronics (ST) has developed the STM32F103 series chips with Cortex-M3 architecture. These chips have a 72MHz CPU main frequency and come with high-precision ADC, USART, CAN, USB, SDIO and other modules. The series is classified into three main categories based on the on-chip Flash size: small capacity (16K and 32K), medium capacity (64K and 128K), and large capacity (256K, 384K and 512K). In this post, we use STM32F103ZET6 as an example to introduce the features, specifications, circuit and application information of these chips.
STM32F103 is a microcontroller unit (MCU) produced by STMicroelectronics. This MCU belongs to the STM32 family, which is based on the ARM Cortex-M processor. The STM32F103 is a popular choice among electronics enthusiasts, hobbyists, and professionals due to its low power consumption, high performance, and rich peripheral set. This MCU is commonly used in various applications, including industrial automation, robotics, automotive, and consumer electronics.
For instance, the STM32F103 can be used in a CNC machine to control its motors and other peripherals, or in a smart home system to manage various sensors and actuators. Additionally, this MCU can be used in a quadcopter to handle its flight control algorithms and sensors. The STM32F103 is a versatile and powerful microcontroller that offers a wide range of capabilities and features for various applications.
Up to 17 timers:
- Up to Ten 16-bit timers, each timer with up to 4 I2C/OC/PWM counters and quadrature (incremental) encoder input.
- 2×16-bit motor control PWM timers with dead-time generation and emergency stop.
- 2 watchdog timers (independent and window)
- SysTick timer: 24-bit downcounter
- 2×16-bit basic timers for driving DAC
Up to 13 communication interfaces:
- Up to 2 I2C interfaces (SMBus/PMBus)
- Up to 5 USARTs (ISO 7816 interface, LIN, IrDA, modem control)
- Up to 3 SPIs (18 Mbit/s), 2 with 12S interface multiplexed
- CAN interface (2.0B Active)
- USB 2.0 full-speed interface
- SDIO interface
- -CRC calculation unit, 96-bit unique ID
-Core: Arm® 32-bit Cortex®-M3 CPU
- 72MHz maximum frequency, 1.25 DMIPS/MHz (Dhrystone 2.1), performance in 0 wait state memory access.
- Single-cycle multiplication and hardware division.
- 256KB to 512KB of flash
- up to 64KB of SRAM. Flexible static memory controller with 4 chip selects. Supports Compact Flash, SRAM, PSRAM, NOR, and NAND memories.
-LCD parallel interface, 8080/6800 modes.
-Clock, reset, and power management:
- 2.0V to 3.6V application supply and I/O, POR, PDR, and programmable voltage detector (PVD),
- 4 to 16MHz crystal oscillator, internal 8MHz factory-trimmed RC, calibrated internal 40kHz RC, 32kHz oscillator for RTC with calibration.
- sleep, stop, and standby modes
- VBAT for RTC and backup registers
-3×12-bit, 1μs A/D converters (up to 21 channels)
- Conversion range: 0 to 3.6V
- Triple sample and hold capability
- Temperature sensor
-2×12-bit D/A converters
-DMA: 12-channel DMA controller
- -Supported peripherals: Timer, ADC, DAC, SDIO, I2S, SPI, 12C and USART
- Serial Wire Debug (SWD) and JTAG interface
-Cortex®-M3 embedded trace macro unit T
-Up to 112 fast 1/O ports
– 51/80/112 I/O, all mappable to 16 external interrupt vectors, almost all 5V tolerant
Product Category: ARM Microcontrollers – MCU
Mounting Style: SMD/SMT
Core: ARM Cortex M3
Program Memory Size: 512KB
Data Bus Width: 32 bit
ADC Resolution: 12 bit
Max Clock Frequency: 72 MHz
Number of Input/Output: 112
Data RAM Size: 64KB
Minimum Operating Temperature: -40 Celsius
Maximum Operating Temperature: +85 Celsius
Data RAM Type: SRAM
Interface Type: CAN, I2C, SPI, USART, USB
Number of ADC Channels: 16
Number of Timer/Counter: 8 timers
Unit Weight: 1.290g
STM32F103 Block Diagram
STM32F103 Pinout Configuration
STM32F103 Power Supply
STM32F103 Typical Circuit
- Motor drives
- Application control
- Handheld devices
- PC gaming peripherals
- GPS platforms
- Programming Controllers (PLC)
- Alarm system
- Video intercom
- Heating and ventilation
- Air Conditioning System
- LED Bar Screen Control
STM32f401 vs STM32f103
here’s a table comparing information of the STM32F401 and STM32F103 microcontrollers:
|Architecture||ARM Cortex-M4||ARM Cortex-M3|
|Maximum Clock Speed||84 MHz||72 MHz|
|Flash Memory||256 KB||Up to 512 KB|
|SRAM||64 KB||Up to 64 KB|
|ADC Channels||10||Up to 16|
|Timers||14||Up to 15|
|USB||1 x Full-speed||1 x Full-speed|
|Operating Voltage||1.7 - 3.6 V||2.0 - 3.6 V|
|Package||LQFP64, LQFP100, LQFP144, UFBGA144||LQFP64, LQFP100, LQFP144, UFBGA100, UFBGA144|
Overall, the STM32F401 has a more advanced ARM Cortex-M4 architecture, which supports more advanced digital signal processing and floating-point operations, as well as faster maximum clock speeds. However, the STM32F103 has more flash memory available, and supports slightly more ADC channels and timers.